The process of making the vanilla sugar, vanilla sea salt and vanilla extract:
- 4 vanilla beans
- 200 ml gluten-free vodka (I usually use “Smirnoff vodka” or “Vikingfjord”)
- Lay vanilla bean flat and insert knife near one end. (Face sharp edge away from your hand.)
- Run knife up the length of the bean, splitting it on one side.
- Open the bean and use the backside of the knife to scrape the seeds from the pod.
- Repeat 1-3 with the other beans.
- Then put the seeds and some empty pods in the jar with vodka .
- Use other empty pods to make vanilla sugar and salt – just place them in your sugar and salt bowl to infuse them with vanilla flavor.
- Sugar and salt will be ready on the fifth day, but the extract will be ready within two months. During those two months shake well the bottle with voka, vanilla seeds and pods every day.